Saturday, May 16, 2009

A Wink Across The Room

No, it was not jealousy, nor was it anger..
It was not an emotion I could easily name
So I will tell you a story, a story of silence
a story of symbols, dreams and meaning.

I once dreamed a room into existence
across the boundaries of time, in the future
twenty, thirty years from now, or more..
Was the dream even mine? I can't recall now.

A room full of strange, familiar, distant faces
lit by faint evening light and a bluish fire
casting shadows who dance about the walls
and mingle into the crowd with friendly smiles
I can see still waters through the window
perhaps it is a lake house, I look at my toes
I see sand particles twinkle like early stars.

I peer into the dreamy faces.. some lost
some alive, some adrift, who am I looking for?
and what is it that I am looking for?
am I missing anything, or nothing at all?
I stare into silence, verses soon to follow.

Some more hours pass.. and I see a man walk in
his eyes search across the room for something
and they find me sitting by the windowsill
he starts to walk over but someone interrupts
he politely nods, listens, tries to get away..
a few moments pass, no sign of liberation
he looks up and finds me looking into his eyes.
He winks and smiles from across the room
and I know what it was that I was looking for..
it was my past, my memories, my stories..

So you see, there are stories entwined in every moment
I am proud of them and I can't apologize for them.
They are mine and I can't help but possess them.

No comments: