Saturday, May 30, 2009

Flowering trees of India






Visiting India this time of the year meant I got to see some gorgeous tropical trees in bloom. It has been a long time since I saw this flower in bloom.. My grandmother's village has this tree growing in Shiva's temple, it must be quite an old tree. My childhood friend and I used to climb the tree and steal the flowers very early in the morning before the priests came in and take them home to float them in water. The shape and fragrance of this flower is out of this world. The shape is supposed to represent the symbol of Shiva, the lingam and the snake entwining/protecting it. The eternal symbol of fertility and potency. Its common name is Cannon ball tree and the scientific name is Coupita guianesis.
Here are a few more of these beautiful trees I get to see almost daily when I go for a run in the park close to my in-laws' place in Chennai.


No comments: